Saturday, April 10, 2010

Taylor's Resolution Resolve Progress - Sweet!


So far the Resolve Your Resolution program has been fantastic for me. I was paired with Drew Hill, and it has been great training with him. We really seem to get where each other are coming from.

My main goal in the program was to finally cross the line with bicycle racing. I had raced in the past, but was never able to push through and really compete. When I started the program, I was probably in some of the worst shape I had been in for four years.

Drew got me back on my bike. I started with several weeks of base mileage. Consistently getting out on the bike was great. I really remembered why I had been so excited about cycling in the first place. Now I have started into doing more intervals during the week to start building leg strength and power. All the cycling has strength workouts in the gym mixed in to increase overall and core strength. And of course, the racing has started.

We decided that the weekly Driveway race series would be my benchmark. Every Thursday I get to see how I'm doing in a real race environment. So far... well, not so great. But, I really feel great on the bike, so I know I am making progress. I feel stronger, I feel faster. And considering how out of shape I was when we started, I'm pretty happy with how things have progressed.

But I haven't used this opportunity just to put more bike hours in my week. I have finally made a consistent effort (with the help of my wonderful wife) to get my diet in order. We cook a lot, we are eating quality food, trying to limit meat, we have eliminated dairy, and eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables. Eating delicious, healthy food really makes a difference in how you feel.

The RyR program is a great opportunity, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it. I have made a lot of progress, but there is still a long road to go. Oh, and by the way... I finally feel like a cyclist again, so my legs are now definitely shaved. ;)

Take it easy,
Taylor