Thursday, April 15, 2010

10 lbs lost, cleaning up diet, goals constantly evolving.. Hil's on to something!


When I started the RyR Challenge, I had just completed the biggest athletic goal thus far in my life- I completed my first Half Marathon!

I know, you’re thinking huh? Why start a resolution challenge if you’ve already met such a big goal? I spent months training for the half marathon & felt such a great sense of pride & accomplishment after I finished. But that’s just the thing…it was finished. So, what next? I’ve come to realize with my RyR challenge- my goals have to be constantly evolving. Improving your health and fitness is never finished.
Mallory is an excellent trainer, especially at helping me keep my goals fresh & relevant. She’s always encouraged me to set goals that were measurable & within sight. She also leads an incredibly active lifestyle, so you can’t help but feel motivated around her. I have a short attention span, so she does a great job at varying our workouts & muscle groups. I think it’s her goal to make every muscle in my body sore!
During the challenge I’ve tried to set several BIG goals & lots of small ones. Every week I try to come up with one small goal: run 10 miles during the week, drink 8 glasses of water, try that Blackout class I’m afraid of, etc. Some weeks are definitely better than others, but I’m teaching myself not to get discouraged. No excuses on the bad weeks… just move on & gear up for the next.

My big goal other than weight loss is to complete my first triathlon! I grew up swimming competitively & I’ve tried to keep up a consistent running schedule, so I feel good about those legs. I also bought my first bike a few weeks ago- the first one I’ve had since I was 12. For a naturally clumsy person the bike has been a challenge! Within the first five minutes I’d already fallen over trying to snap in my cleats. I’m staying positive & I’ve been trying to ride my bike 2-3 times a week. I’m really excited about this goal!

While my workouts have been solid during the challenge, my big struggle during the last few months has been food. Mallory created a great plan to clean out my diet- eliminating processed foods, caffeine, and all the good stuff (ha). So far within the last two weeks I’ve lost 5 pounds, for a total weight loss of 10 pounds thus far. Modifying my food has made a huge change- my body feels better, stronger. Hoping for another 10 pounds before we’re finished!
Loving the challenge so far-
Hil