Monday, March 22, 2010

Eric makes some really intelligent decisions in his Resolution Resolve quest

Eric's focus is great. He has really taken an intelligent, concerted look at the best ways he can reach his goals in the New Year. We are impressed. Eric writes:

By way of a quick synopsis, basically the last month has
been less about workouts and more about diet and rest, which are the
two big problems with my health/fitness regimen overall. A lot of
the decision to focus on that is actually in the wake of the marathon
for two reasons: First, in practical terms, I'm still in a recovery
period, and I've wrecked myself before by coming back too quickly, so
I've learned. And second, I managed to shave ~9:00 off my finish
time from last year simply by getting more rest in the three weeks
before the event. Based on these observations, I'm reasonably
convinced that if anything I've had trouble making progress in the
past because I'm constantly tearing myself down and overfeeding
myself trying to get short term energy that'd be a whole lot better
coming from a good night's sleep.

What I've been doing pretty steadily through the last few
weeks has been yoga, since it's non-impact, offers opportunities to
turn intensity up and down as is appropriate, and concentrates
heavily on "core strength," which is something I'm finding pays good
dividends. And I'm only now starting to get back more seriously into
running. (I'm restarting at 6-10 miles for "long" runs, and starting
to do a bit more speed work for the first time since the marathon.)

On the food side, basically I'm eating smaller meals and
being draconian about eliminating processed food. Except for having
to make that stop in West on my way back from Dallas on business (and
pick up a few kolaches at the Czech Stop), pretty much everything
that's come into this house in the last month has been high in
nutritional content in comparison to its calorie count. And it's
been identifiable as food. (No high fructose corn syrup, etc.) So
I'm being satisfied by smaller meals.

I haven't checked my weight at all. At this point I'm
judging my overall progress simply by energy levels, which seem to be
pretty good.