Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Valerie's update - check out how far she's come with some strength + flex added to her cardio base


Valerie has been so amazing and inspiring to me the past couple months. With all she's been through, you might have found me in a corner crying. She is so positive and resilient, and despite all these setbacks has come out stronger (and fitter) than ever.
Since I didn't have a picture of Val, I threw in the logo of her super-cool company, ModGreenPod, an organic upholstery fabric and vinyl-free wallpaper company. Talk about progressive! I love it!!!!

Val's update:

I'm both excited and sad that we are nearing the end of the program. It's mind-boggling how the timing has corresponded with so many hiccups in my life (pinched nerve, shoulder injury, setback to my small business, mother's heart procedure, father's diagnosis with prostate cancer, car accident, etc.) that I am particularly grateful for how my stepped-up focus on total fitness has given me so much more resilience to deal with life's challenges. My reaction to stress has become "get to the gym and you'll feel better" rather than lying around worrying.

A few specific things I'm excited to share:

1) I am officially off my knees for push-ups! This is huge for me and makes me feel so much stronger and more "legit." Knocked out at least 30 in kickbox last week.
2) My pull-ups are getting better every time! I can do 10 per set, and I've moved up another level on the machine (making it harder). This is a goal I've been working on for some 10 YEARS, and I'm finally doing it. Pull ups, people!
3) I've added at least 10 pounds to all of the strength machines for upper body, 20+ pounds for lower. I'm no longer afraid of getting too pumped looking.
4) My legs and arms are definitely smaller and much more toned. Core is way stronger, too. (Still working on that annoying waist of mine.)

For the past few years I've been under the impression that my triathlon training -- swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run -- was all I needed for total fitness. It's been a huge learning lesson for me to see how much an increased focus on strength training and flexibility have ramped up my fitness levels. Doing these sessions several times a week also has paid off in unexpected ways:

*I'm throwing around 50-yard bolts of fabric at work like I used to with 25 yarders. Used to need help carrying those -- no more!
*My hip flexors are holding up much better during my long runs. This has been a chronic issue for me in recent years. I'm still vigilant about trigger point and foam roller work, but my strength and flexibility gains have me feeling so much more comfortable out there! Cutting back a bit on my running in favor of strength training has improved my running, not hurt it.
*I had to adjust my bowling because I'm stronger, and it changed my release. Good problem to have. My average is up 10 pins!
*I spent this week pretending that the program was over and so I was only accountable to myself again. I passed that test with flying colors, feeling blue and antsy if I missed a scheduled gym session and making sure I did something active (neighborhood run, etc.) to get that "good" feeling. 5 days a week has become my new minimum standard, as opposed to a maximum goal. Achieving this as a habit was one of my primary goals for the program. It feels great.
*Saturday I decided to attempt a goal that I was saving for the last week of the program. In February, either PUMP or Kickbox would wipe me out pretty completely. Today I did both BACK TO BACK (I have my own gloves now!). Roar! The high five Stephanie gave me afterward felt like winning the contest already.

A continued challenge for me remains eating for maximum high metabolism. I take several chronic medications that slow my body down, and no matter how clean I seem to eat, I'm only down 6 pounds from all this effort. (I'm also down a size, which is great, but I'd really like to get down another 10 pounds to improve my running and overall feeling of fitness.) Laura gives me a lot of great advice, and I keep trying new things to stay positive. But this is hard. I'm saving up for a trip to a specialized nutritionist to see if that can help, too.

This challenge program has been so positive for me, no matter if I win or not (but don't get me wrong -- I want to win! My small-business-running self doesn't always take a paycheck, so every dollar counts) But seeing my monthly gym charge no longer gives me the guilts -- I know I've made the most of my membership, and the investment in myself is worth it. I'm really happy, too, when I see such great updates from the other contestants and their great efforts and results. We definitely belong to the best gym in town. Such a positive, spotlessly clean, supportive, inspiring, and happy place!