Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hilary's RyR feedback - reminders for us all!!


Hilary tells us some of the things that have led to her success with the RyR challenge. These short "take-home" messages are truly the essence of this experience, and are the paving stones to long-term success. Go Hilary!!


I can’t believe we’re in the final month of the RyR Challenge! It’s really been an incredible journey & I’m so thankful to have been a part of this program. I’ve been thinking about a few things that have made an impact on me during this challenge & things I’ll take with me after the challenge. (I’m type A, so forgive my need to number things.)

1. Try something new.

I’ve been reading a lot of the feedback from the other RyRer’s and this is a consistent theme! I love the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt – “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” It’s all about pushing through your fears & tackling something new. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering or totally outrageous like climbing Everest. Try something small- take a new class, run further, swim longer, set a goal for something that makes you a little scared.

2. You’ve got to have support.

If you’re committed to changing your health, I’m convinced you can’t do it alone. You have to have a support system of family, friends, and trainer to encourage you. My husband and I have been working to lose weight together & we cheer each other on. We’re proud of each other’s successes (he’s lost 60 pounds!) and we motivate each other on bad days.

3. Changing habits takes time.

I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit (& even more to break a bad one!). Waking up at 5am to work out a few days a week definitely didn’t come easy. But over the weeks & months it’s become a habit and actually something I really enjoy! Same thing goes with changing food habits. Don’t expect to give up chocolate & never have a craving…it takes time!

4. Don’t beat yourself up.

I’m human; I’m going to have bad days; days where I don’t want to go to the gym & definitely days where I’d rather have pizza instead of a salad. The key for me has been not to dwell on the bad days. I know there will be bumps in the road. Don’t get derailed from one bad meal or a missed workout, just push forward & try harder next time.

5. Clean up your diet.

This is the hardest one for me! In the middle of the challenge I did a cleanse diet for 2 weeks. Essentially eating clean, organic, nothing processed & no caffeine. After I got over my bitterness about no more cheese & chocolate, I was completely shocked with how great I felt. Good food = Feel good. It’s as simple as that! I have more energy, I’m leaner, my allergies don’t even bother me as much and my body recovers faster.

Thanks!!
Hil