Sunday, November 14, 2010

Whoa, Josie!! Qualified for Boston Marathon, with some help from the full body core power a la Shirley + Pure Austin :)

Transforming mind & body through Exercise
By: Josie D
11/13/10


Over 100,000 people applied, 45,350 runners started, and 44,829 finishers pushed through 26.2 miles in the New York City Marathon last Sunday. Ambitious athletes come from all around the world for the thrill of competing and the opportunity for distinction. I was lucky to be one of them.

This year’s New York marathon was my sixth full marathon, but the first time I’ve ever properly trained. I owe much of my preparation to Shirley Domicoli at Pure Austin Fitness. Shirley is bursting with positive energy and instantly likeable. She is exactly the influence I needed, exuding both inner and outer strength.

Since starting Shirley’s classes, I’m stronger than ever before in my arms, back, shoulders, stomach, and leg muscles. Her Monday, Wednesday and Sunday classes at Pure Austin’s Town Lake location focused on full body power. Before previous marathons I was essentially logging miles to check the box. Over the past year my running has significantly improved since Shirley introduced weight training, dynamic exercises, and core workouts into my routine.

Exercise has long been transformative to my mind and my body, but proved particularly helpful during my 2009 transition from Washington D.C. to Austin. You name it - career, friends, boyfriends, school – life was messy. I had to defer entry in the New York City Marathon last year because I felt drained, weak, and overwhelmed.

Hemingway’s quote fits, “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” A year later, the hurdles and heartbreaks of life became constant motivation to rebuild. I decided to enter the race to reaffirm my resilience and test my limits.

I will never win marathons but like most runners last weekend, I was there for a personal victory. You don’t travel to New York, fight expo crowds, wake up at 3 am, sit in the cold for 4 hours and then run 26.2 miles without inherent passion.

Marathons help me feel fulfilled in my own skin. That woman complaining about the cold, that woman grimacing with cramps, that woman hobbling from blisters – that is me. Running exposes your real self. You become vulnerable to the course and your strength is scrutinized right there along the crowded streets of New York City.
The fans in New York feed into this raw emotion. I wore my name across my vest and fans were not timid. “Kick it harder Josie.” “Come on Josie, you go girl.” “Make ‘em eat your dust.” Their support entirely carried me at the darkest times of the race.

The last six miles of a marathon separates runners from marathon runners. When you push beyond mile 20 you enter a primitive zone. Pain becomes ubiquitous and you force yourself to plow through complete exhaustion. This is where you need to dig deep and remember why you came.

Every runner has a story. I guess some people start running with the intention of marathoning someday but I sure didn’t. I started running around my neighborhood just so I’d have a chance at being captain of my grade school cheerleading squad. I was 13, short, chubby, and fired up.

I started running more seriously at Penn State. College was the first time I was actually self-aware and humiliated about my weight. I was almost 180 pounds when exercise started to transform my life. I was determined to change my circumstances and stop feeling sorry for myself. I did daily runs through a course of personally significant places at Penn State, calling me to appreciate the highs and lows of my life. I lost weight and I gained gumption.

Over the next 8-year chapter in Washington D.C., running remained a priority. I spent most of my career traveling in jobs at The White House, the State Department and the Peace Corps. I visited close to 70 countries and packed running shoes on every trip.

Even lifelong runners need fresh inspiration and solid training to improve performance. Shirley’s workouts proved invaluable to me. I felt sturdy at the finish line and recovered faster than ever before.

And how did it end?

I broke my personal record for marathons with a 3:34:15. I qualified for the Boston Marathon for the first time and I returned to Austin smiling ear-to-ear.


###