Monday, October 11, 2010

Chelsea's twin sister stays fit while in Iraq. Misty rules!!

Chelsea sent this over about her twin sister staying fit while being deployed in Iraq. How awesome is this?!?

"I have a twin sister. Her name is Misty. She's always been into fitness. We use to step videos in our living room when we were teenagers. She had a gym membership in high school and would wake up at 5:30am to make it to a class then come home, kick me out of the bathroom, and get ready for school. She has been an athlete all of here life. The joke is I was such a fast runner because I knew she could kick my booty if she wanted to!!! Misty was deployed 4 months ago to Iraq. Just like her she turned it into a gigantic positive. This is what she had to say. "Fitness has changed because I have more time to do it. There is nothing else really keeping me from going to the gym. I don't have a monitor to listen to, dinners to prepare, house to clean. I just have me to worry about. So really there is no reason to miss the gym. I wake up at 0230, skype the family and am at the gym by 0310. I work out for 60 to 80 minutes. I do it in the morning because I know by the end of the day it is 120 degrees and the last thing I feel like doing is running on the treadmill in a 98 degree tent where the gym is. I know that I've accomplished something. That feels good. 3xs per week I am in the weight room doing a total body workout. 3xs per week I'm on the treadmill doing a running workout. My workouts are geared to what is going to get me through the heat and stress of Iraq. It is about being able to survive the elements. I lift heavy and run faster. To be perfectly honest...I'm working out so hard in order to wear my gear on the plane ride home and not feel like I have a gorilla on my back. It is just about being stronger....not thinner...but stronger. I wish my stomach was smaller....yada, yada, yada. But I really want to be able to carry all of my bags and not have anyone to help me. I want to be able to wear my vest without feeling weighted down. I want to be able to stand in a C-130 and hold on to the railing while up in the air without worrying about falling. Fitness is all about being functional now." Misty told me about a Push up contest they had on the base. How many push ups can you do in 1 minute? Both men and woman competed in this contest. 1st place: Girl - 83 push ups. 2nd place - MY SISTER 73 push ups. 3rd place and on......MEN! ROCK ON MISTY! Misty is now home safely. She is in the best shape of her life. Her shoulders have made me very jealous! She is one of my inspirations. Like she said, she would wake up at 2:30am after going to bed at 9pm just so she can Skype her little boy and then make it to the gym. Commitment and motivation. I am just so proud of her! "


Misty, you are an inspiration!!!! Much love, Pure Austin Fitness.