Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Congratulations Cindy Henges for completing her second Leadville 100 Trail Run!


Woot! Pure Austin Member Cindy Henges is a bona fide rock star. 100 Miles on the Leadville Trails for the second year in a row?? it hurts just to think about....

We caught up with Cindy and asked her to answer some of our more burning questions....

(BTW, did any of our other members do the Leadville Run or Mt Bike this year? We would love to hear about it - drop us a line!!)


How soon after finishing last year did you decide you wanted to tackle the 100 again this year?
 

Last year in the days following the race I told many of my crew members that the only way I would attempt this race again was if I could live at high altitude prior to the race. 

It was about 4 months after the race that plans for my summer started to solidify & I actually registered for the race.

 
What were the most key components to your race preparations?


Training at elevation in Breckenridge, CO, hill work & back to back long run days. I took one day off a week to rest\recover.

 
What "gym" based components stayed important in your training?

I lifted weights\physical therapy\core work 2-3 days\wk, yoga 1-2 days\wk with occasional swimming.
 

What miles were the hardest? How did you get through them?

Mile 40-50 were the hardest this year emotionally & physically. I started to have some GI issues around mile 30-40 & was dying a slow death.  It was apparent at the 50 mile point that my goal of breaking 25 hrs was out the window due to my GI issues & inability to get in enough calories. I cried with my crew, switching my nutrition plan & I got a pacer to cover the next 50 miles.   I decided that there was no more crying allowed in the race & that we were going to have fun even if I didn't feel like it.  

 
How long after the 100 until you feel like running again? What do you to get your physical fix in the meantime?

It is usually 7-10 days after the race that I feel like running again.  Yesterday was my first run back.  Until that time I swim, lift weights, walk my dog & do yoga.  I usually sleep alot the week following the race & don't feel back to 100% for another 4-6 weeks.