Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What is it about those headstands that is sooo good for you?


In the 70's my dad had this "inversion board". It kind of freaked me out, but my not-especially-new-agey father seemed to think it was worth a upside-down hang every couple of days. Apparently he was onto something, despite himself.

I find headstands really "change my perspective". Haha, get it? But they do. If I am in a solid funk that is caused by some repetitive thought that is not serving me any good, and I just can't seem to shake it, a few minutes on my head can really loosen some neurons (in a good way).

Do you know how many benefits headstands have?? A LOT! Natural News gave a laundry list of them. Among them, these five:

1) Natural 'face-lift'! Reverses gravity, brings fresh oxygen to the face, fresh blood helps eliminate toxins.
2) Thicker hair, fewer greys due to increase in blood supply to follicles and scalp. Nutrients to the noggin!
3) Hormone (and hence mood) regulation via blood flow to the hypothalamus and the pituitary glands. These master glands help regulate many of the other "glands" in the body. Happy glands = happier mood, better sex, healthier outlook.
4) Lymphatic circulation and drainage. Get that stuff moving, cleansed, circulating on out!
5) Let that blood that has been pooling in your feet and legs all day turn around and go back through your heart and get some fresh oxygen to it. Personally, I think this helps combat varicose veins as well!

There are a bunch of other benefits listed with our friends at Natural News.

Gotta go, time to stand on my head!